Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washer (WFW9550WW00). It started

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washer (WFW9550WW00). It started making "knocking" noises at the beginning and end of the spin cycle - no unusual noises at full spin. I took the top and back off and everything looks OK (shocks, springs, pulley, belt, etc.). I haven't opened the tub to check the spider arms. The drum seems like it's in place (from the front) and there's no wear or rubbing etc. when the washer is running. Just wondering if I need to do something or if this is just "the way it is".
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

At lower spin speeds the washer will shake more than at the full speed spin, but it shouldn't be knocking. I'd remove the back sheet metal panel and the lower front panel and see if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from. The springs are not the problem if they are not physically broken. Other than that make sure the counter weight bolts are not loose, and lastly you'd be looking at bad shocks even if they look good.

The spider is not going to be the problem because that will only get louder as the washer spins faster, the knocking doesn't go away.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Per my original question I took the back/top off. Hard to pinpoint noise - it's not obvious. Inside the drum perhaps? Check right around the 2m mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_01bvs44rPoHow can I tell if shocks are good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another one... right around the 10s mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2iyi8-2uds
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK well that is really an odd one. Something is going on inside that drum for sure. I think based on that noise something is wrapped around the shaft between the inner and outer basket. You'd have to take the tub out and split it to remove the inner basket and see what's causing the knocking. It should be fairly obvious when you take it apart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically completely disassemble to diagnose? Not exactly what I was hoping for :-(
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately yes. Nothing outside the washer is going to make that noise. You'd have to take it apart to fix the issue anyways but you can't tell what's going on in there until you take it apart.