John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My side by side maytag refrigerator quit working, we bought

Customer Question

My side by side maytag refrigerator quit working, we bought a new one and I moved the Maytag out to my shop, after a couple of months I plugged it back in and it started working again. When we first got it, it worked great for about four years, but after I'd moved it and plugged it back in, it started working again... this time for about a year maybe 14 to 16 months and once again it stopped. We called a so-called Maytag repairman and he said it couldn't be fixed. We've always bought Maytag because they were dependable, so do you have any suggestions. Mod#MSD2651HEW, Serial #10346098GL
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

Its one of those questions that really there isn't an answer to unless you're sitting in front of it. I have a Maytag downstairs in my kitchen which I bought for $40 because the ice maker wouldn't work, I didnt even look at it for a year just used it as a fridge freezer and then one day decided to have a look for 'kicks & giggles' - turned out to be a connector in the door hinge that was loose. I have an Amana (another great make) sitting in the workshop too. But they aren't what they used to be having been taken over by Whirlpool. Cheaper components, electronics rather than mechancial switches. Being an 'old timer' I'll keep these two going until the base rots out. I have no wonderful answer to your problem nor do I wish you to pay me as we havent actually resolved the unresolvable but keep the old girl going and like all ladies remember she gets temperamental from time to time. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm looking for my answer, please respond
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This seems like a joke, I paid for an answer and got a e-mail saying you had one.... well, where is it, I', still waiting
Expert:  bonzaco replied 11 months ago.

You have been charged a deposit which will be fully refunded if you are not satisfied with the answers received. So let us proceed, can you tell me what refrigerant is used in your system and what the repairman said was wrong. What was happening prior to the service call, what did you report. Did he connect a set of gauges up to the compressor or did he just consider it not worth his while fixing?