Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I just bought a new Panasonic Countertop Microwave Model

Customer Question

I just bought a new Panasonic Countertop Microwave Model NN-SA661S with new Inverter technology. I also have an old 1000-watt over the range microwave. How do I adjust my old reliable recipes to the timing and power levels of the new inverter technology of the new microwave? In other words, if my old recipe calls for 5 minutes at 30 power, what settings do I program on the new microwave? The single booklet that came with the microwave states on page 12 "This oven requires less time to cook than an older unit". I have a converter chart that figures out the cooking time changes for various wattages, but not any suggestions for power changes, which seems to be what "inverter technology" is. As I understand it (and I could be wrong), during the time an old-fashioned microwave is showing five minutes at 30 power, the microwave cycles on and off during the cooking time; if we use a microwave with the inverter technology, the power stays at the full 30 percent during the entire cooking time.
If I am wrong, please correct me. I don't want to waste time and money using incorrect power levels or whatever. I am already frustrated because my entire right shoulder was recently entirely rebuilt, so I am essentially one-armed for the next six months or so, and cannot safely reach my over the range microwave. Please help me make use of my new Panasonic. Thank you.
Rae Schlesinger, Tucson, AZ
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There really is no set differentials for adjusting recipes. The difference in the old and new is the power levels. If you select a 30% power on your old model, it runs 30% of the time at 100% power. The new model, when programmed at the same setting, will run at a true 30% power for 100% of the time. You will find that defrosting does not cook the outer edges as in the old one, things will cook much more evenly. That is the most noticeable difference, defrosting and cooking at lower power levels. So, to answer your question directly, there is no set way to adjust, the new one will just do exactly as you want it to, like run at 30% power. Does this help explain the new inverter technology?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!