Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have 2 sets of 2 gas Garland Master 200 ovens. Good solid

Customer Question

I have 2 sets of 2 gas Garland Master 200 ovens. Good solid ovens, but 3 of the 4 have developed problems with no ignition. Garland tech told me I likely need to replace the motors as the centrifugal switches are not functioning, and not sending 24v through to turn on gas valve. At a cost of $660 per motor, plus likely needing to replace the fan at the same time, it's not feasible for me to do. I'm looking for guidance on how I might search out the centrifugal switches and lubricate/adjust/tweak/clean it and get my ovens operational without breaking my bank. This seems to be a common problem, and I'm pretty handy, so would like to give it a shot. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Garland is right and the switches do go bad, but the switch is located inside the motor and you would need to take the motor apart to get at the contacts to even clean them or anything. This is a job as the motor has to come off and then you have to disassemble the motor to get at it. There is no simple way to do this or fix that issue as the contact pads go bad and even with getting it all apart and cleaning it may only work for a short period of time and then go bad again. You really do need new motors this happens a lot, sorry please do not kill the messenger.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'd like a little more insight into this, if you would. What is the purpose of the centrifugal switch, as in regards ***** ***** What happens if the fan isn't running and the burner came on, wouldn't the oven just become a radiant oven instead of a convection? In other words, if the centrifugal switch circuit was bypassed outside the motor, as the fan motor works fine, what are potential risk/scenarios I need to consider? I know this isn't a "kosher" repair, but wondering if you have insight into what possible situations I need to consider. Thanks, Mike

The centrifugal switch is in place for safety as the flame will not burn correctly as there will not be enough oxygen sucked into the burner area and the flame will be all sooty and yellow, you can not bypass it as it will not work unless the fan is running so no Kosher repair for this as it will not work right at all and put put a lot of carbon monoxide on top of it.