John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have an A-200 model 3943. Under load mixing pizza dough on

Customer Question

I have an A-200 model 3943. Under load mixing pizza dough on 1st speed, the dough arm repeatedly slows as it picks up flour and then speeds up again, eventually bogging down. I then shut it off and finish mixing by hand.
With the cover off, the motor RPM does not appear to change, (not sure of this) but the two visible small shafts appear to slow in unison with the dough arm.
I bought it used, not running, and had the motor rebuilt by a reputable electric motor company.
This is a 1/3 HP motor, vs. newer models that are 1/2 HP. Am I simply asking too much of it? I cannot see where there is any kind of a clutch ahead of the bronze driven gear that might be slipping.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi... let me see if I can help....

I congratulate you on the purchase.. A200 mixers are wonderful... lots of parts are still available..

when the motor shop did the rebuild, I take it you did not have the transmission rebuilt, is that correct?

A unit of this age probably had the older style motor and centrifugal switch in it, am I correct?

Anyway... every year or two (depending on use) you should have the transmission gone through, seals replaced, bearings checked and the unit relubed.

It sounds like you have gears worn or damaged in the transmission.. it may not have been service in many years...

there are not user serviceable parts in the transmission. You will need to have a Hobart repair office or a reputable commercial cooking repair company rebuild the transmission.

it normally can be done in 3-4 hours if they have the parts and lube.

Let me know what they find.

thank you for using Just Answer

Phillip

Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

oh... and no.. you are not asking too much of the machine.. you can fill that 20 qt pot up with dough and she will root right through it normally... the higher rated motor is nice but not necessary under normal conditions...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Neither of the two replies I received answered my questions and are of no use. whatsoever.

Cancel my odrer and refund my money

Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

Wow... are you kidding me?

I answered you questions perfectly.. you are not capable of working on the transmission of this unit... go ahead tear into it and find out for yourself... you have no idea how many parts are in that transmission or the planetary... please.. open it up and find out for yourself....

You wrote into here because you are not a technician. You wanted expert advice and I gave it to you... you just dont like the truth. So ...please I hope they give you your money back...

I couldve lied to you and told you it would be easy to repair.. just pull it apart and start pulling the guts out... but I was professional and you turned out to be an idiot....

So please get your money back and I hope I dont deal with you again.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Neither of you two answered my specific qustiion.

On my own I figured out (from the Internet) that this early 1/3 HP Hobart A-200 Model 3943 does indeed have a clutch between the electric and the bronze driven gear.

I will borrow a portable tachometer to determine if that clutch is slipping or if the motor slows due to overload.

Fro you information, I'm a licensed professional engineer with long experience in designing machinery for a major Fortune 500 company. I just asked the question to save myself some time before I [pulled it apart.

Expert:  shaithus1 replied 1 year ago.

there is no clutch... there three stacks of gears and a gear shifting yolk at the gear change handle... gear coming off the motor has spring load behind it... but they would have seen that when they redid the motor...

You should tear into it and get messy and find out how it works... its a great piece of equipment...

Good luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I sent a scan of the parts book page showing the clutch. It is a cone on the bottom of the bronze gear and a mating hard steel cup.

The cup is spring loaded against the cone.It appears that this clutch was used with the 1/3 HP motors, both on mixers built up thru 1949.

The gear and cup are serviced as an assembly. $250, only from Hobart.