Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our frig occasionally has the light stay off when you open

Customer Question

Our frig occasionally has the light stay off when you open the door. The temp is fine and if you close the door and reopen the light is usually on. Here's the weird part. We hear 3 beeps somewhere else in the house when this happens. It's like is. We here the beep beep beep, then I go check the frig and the light is off. I close the door, and reopen and the light is on. And then we don't here the beeps anymore for a while. Very strange.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

This issue means that your refrigerator doesn't think the door has been closed. After 10 or 15 minutes of the refrigerator thinking that the door was left open, the lights will shut off inside to prevent the light bulbs from heating up and melting the liner or warming up the food. Because the refrigerator thinks the door is open, it will keep giving you these 3 beeps to warn you that it thinks the door is open. It's all related to the refrigerator thinking the door was left open. When you go open and close the door, you're then resetting the issue which is why the light starts to work again and the beeping stops. You either have a bad door switch or the door may be sagging and not hitting the door switch correctly when you close the door, or possibly the control board is bad and not reading the door switch properly. Since the issue is sporadic it's really not something you can test.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.