Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Caffey maytag frig.mod. ed25rfxfhwoo not cooling. I replaced

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Caffey maytag frig.mod. ed25rfxfhwoo not cooling. I replaced defrost timer fan started working and compressor feels hot but not cooling
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I recently got ice maker working by replacing filter and can feel air circulating into refrig side
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: for good advice to pin point theproblem I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Since the compressor is hot and the unit isn't cooling, his means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.