Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My name is ***** *****. My Maytag Quiet Series 300 was

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** *****. My Maytag Quiet Series 300 was working fine. I left on vacation for around 10 days. I returned yesterday and tried to run a load of dishes. When I shut the door, all the lights came on the control panel. I pressed the start button and the cycle light came on, but it did not seem to start. I went to bed and when I opened the dishwasher this morning there was moisture on the dishes almost like they had been steamed, but they had not been washed. I tried starting the dishwasher again and heard some water running under the sink, but the dishwasher did not start and the lights on the control panel turned off after a few minutes.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really. Only that everything seems to be normal with the dishwasher except it does not really start washing, but turns off after a few minutes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

If the dishwasher still fills up and drains but won't circulate the water, it sounds like your circulation pump seized up and needs to be replaced. This commonly happens on dishwashers when they haven't been used for awhile like when you go on vacation. You can try to remove the circulation pump and spin the impeller by hand to see if you can break it free, but even if that works it will seize up again when you don't run it for any significant length of time. The circulation pump would need to be replaced to fix the dishwasher.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dishwasher does not seem to even be filling with water. Would this be the same problem as you identified?

You said you heard water running under the sink which means that the dishwasher is filling with water. No, this does not change your situation you still have an issue with your circulation pump. If you don't believe you do then fill up the dishwasher manually with water using a cup and see if it sprays the water around. If not then you still have a circulation pump issue.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?