Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

My Name is ***** *****, The Issue is a problem with my

Customer Question

Customer: My Name is ***** *****, The Issue is a problem with my in-laws GE washing machine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's a GE WJRE5500G0WW ,They had a repairman check it first because it fills/agitates but it will not drain/spin. Service tech checked the lid switch(good) pump(good). He told them it needed a control board and the machine is not worth the 200 or more that would cost .I can buy the board for 100 but wanted to check things further before buying it . I pulled the front cover did the reset and ran it . The tub is moving with the agitator and clunking along with the 4 flashes on the LED tells me that the mode shifter needs replaced. I checked it for resistance and this was confirmed. My question is would this cause it not to drain/spin or are there 2 separate issues ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

The answer is yes it will not drain with a bad mode shifter, it cannot go into spin that tells it to allow it to drain and then spin, so the mode shifter will need to be replaced. A real pain to do though..

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Tips are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced the trans in my own washing machine and this looks like a similar procedure . I just did not want to do this on it and have the draining problem not get solved and end up costing more.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

I understand, it is not much different than a regular old GE washer, Good luck''