Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Kitchen Aid fridge model KFXL25RY. The water

Customer Question

I have a Kitchen Aid fridge model KFXL25RY. The water dispenses fine but the ice maker does not work. I think the mechanism that pushes ice out the door is working but no ice is falling out of the freezing trays to fill up the ice bucket. I am wondering if something is frozen up and what should I do to try to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Can you hear the auger rotating around? Also is the ice flap opening up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the auger rotates (at least I hear it) and the flap opens up too. The ice bin inside is totally empty of ice but the drinking water part of the fridge is working normally.

So the unit is just not making ice then correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
correct. The unit used to make ice and then it just stopped one day. I wonder if something is frozen. I take out the ice bucket and it is just completely empty of ice but when you push a glass up against the pad that is supposed to make ice happen, the door opens, the auger moves and of course, no ice cuz the bucket is empty. Should I defrost something? Aim a hair dryer at something? Water is clearing coming to the fridge itself because the filtered water still works.

Check the water fill line to the icemaker see if it is frozen up, if not the icemaker has likely gone bad, which is very common on that unit. You would then need a new icemaker to repair the issue. Also check and see if anything is jammed in the icemaker itself that could be stopping the auger fingers in the icemaker from rotating. Here is a link to a new icemaker.

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont think my question is fully answered yet. I still dont know where to find the water line to see if it is frozen.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please help. I still am asking for clarification. I am not feelin the love at all.

On the back area of the icemaker you should see the rubber or plastic fill tube that enters the trough at the rear of the icemaker, there is where you need to check to see if that tube is frozen. Sorry for the issue and delay.