Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Microwave oven: NN-SN651B: light doesn't come on inside oven

Customer Question

Microwave oven: NN-SN651B: light doesn't come on inside oven when door is opened; light does work when cooking. what's the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

If the light does not turn on when the door is opened, one of your 3 door switch has failed and thinks the door is closed all the time even though it's not. You would need to unplug the microwave and remove the entire outer shell and test the switches to the left of the display panel with a multimeter to determine which one needs to be replaced if you are capable of doing that. To access these switches, you'll need to remove all the screws coming in from the back of the microwave around the top, left, and right edges. Then remove the screws coming in from the right and left side of the microwave near the bottom. The entire outer shell will then pull straight back, up, and off and you can access through the right side of the microwave but it will be tight.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.