Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Frigidaire fridge cot cooling

Customer Question

Frigidaire fridge cot cooling
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Is either the refrigerator or freezer section cooling at all? Do you hear any fans or motors running or is the unit 100% silent? Please be as clear as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
freezer is still freezing yes fans are still blowing and I hear humming from compressor
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK perfect. So the refrigerator cools by stealing the air from the freezer section. That means that if the freezer is working, you either have a bad evaporator fan motor or a defrost issue. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just removed everything from the bottom and the panel has a lot of frost
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so that would indicate that the fan is probably running and you really have a defrost issue. You'd need to thaw all that frost out with a hair dryer and test continuity through the heater and thermostat to know which part is bad. Usually the thermostat is the faulty part if you didn't have a multimeter to test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just removed panel and it's completely frosted
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK well that I what you should expect as I mentioned before I believe.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the thermostat located?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It's a small 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils where all that frost is located. It will have 2 wires going to it and looks like the part in the link below.

CLICK HERE for thermostat