Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

My name is ***** ***** and I have a Kitchenaid french door

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I have a Kitchenaid french door refrigerator with ice/water dispenser. About 13 months after we bought and installed the unit, the ice maker quit working. The water filter I purchased ($50) didn't do any good. Water still flows from the dispenser but no ice. I don't see any blockage. Also, the freezer became really, really frosted over (probably because I was making ice in trays in the freezer?). Now, the fan is sounding like it's hitting the heavy frost. I defrosted it as much as I could. There is some residual ice and frost in the freezer. Currently, the unit is turning the front lighted display panel on and off and shows "PO" and asks us to confirm by pressing the panel button.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Now the unit seems to be defrosting gradually but it beeps 3 times every few minutes and the lights on the panel continue to turn on for minutes and then off, operating normally (except no ice making). We want to fix but we also see many (almost every) negative comments about Kitchenaid refrigerators and would rather trash this $2000 unit to get something else.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait...did you get all of my comments (about 5 of them)?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for your interest in our service. If you have been waiting a while
I apologize as I try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner. I am now
available to help you with your question.

could you give me the model number off the unit so I can pull up the tech info on this unit. It sounds like you have two different problems:

1. It has a defrost problem,

every 8-12 hours your refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle to melt the ice off the evaporator coils, when it does not do this because of component failure the coils will freeze over basically becoming a block of ice behind the freezer panel, if you are seeing ice built up on the fan shroud then the ice must be built up pretty well behind the panel that you can't see.

2. You have either a bad ice maker or a bad water inlet valve, either the ice maker is not calling for water because it has faulted or it is and the valve is bad not allowing water into the ice maker. The water inlet valves on most refrigerators are dual inlet valves meaning it's one unit with two valves one to supply the ice maker and one to supply the water dispenser, so just because the water dispenser is working does not mean the valve is working properly.

If you get me the model number, I can help you troubleshoot the issues, but you will need to have a volt/ohm meter and the knowledge to use it properly in order to do this.

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this

issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I

can put this question on my completed list. I took the time to help you please take the time to help me. Thank You so much for your understanding and support! If you feel there is a reason you should not give me a rating please let me know, otherwise please go ahead and do that for me Thanks.