Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My name is ***** *****. I have a Insinkerator Disposal modei

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a Insinkerator Disposal modei #5-81. It has become severely locked up. I have used the crank several times and have loosened it up some but not all the way It will turn about half way around but but not very loosely. It just stops and I can't turn it any further using a lot of force. Any suggestions.? Regards,***@******.***
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I gave you every thing that I tried with the crank. Did you get my entire email?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I will wait, but do I have to pay if the ansewer is its not repairable?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Take a flash light and look down inside the sink opening into the disposal and see if you can see anything that is jamming the rotating cutter blade. you may have to get a long screw driver and from the top try prying what ever it is jamming the unit loose

Let me know if you see anything along the sides (inside ) of the disposal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that prior to contacting you. The blades spin and I have even taken a long heavy screwdriver and tapped them with a hammer. I can take the crank and move the drum counter-clockwise from the 10:00 oclock position to the 2:00 position and then it will go no further.

then you still have something jamming /blocking it from a full rotation.

Something has to be stopping it from turning .I suggest look once again or you will need to replace the disposal ,but if it will not turn a full 360° something is stopping it inside the chopper cavity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yot our reply did not recommend anything that I had not already doYou should have replied that there was nothing else to do and not charge for your reply.

if the unit will not turn a full 360° there is More to do you have to find and remove what ever is jamming the unit from turning!!