Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Chas, I have a upright Whirlpool freezer with model number

Customer Question

Hello Chas,I have a upright Whirlpool freezer with model number EVL201NXRQ00 and it makes a groaning noise intermittently from the back of the unit. Its almost 10 years old and has done this for many years. I was hoping to fix it before it broke.Thanks,
Robb
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Is this noise a constant noise for several minutes or a short period?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's a noise thats inconsistent in loudness and lasts 5 to 10 minutes.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

How many times a day does it happen you guess?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's hard to say because it's in the garage, maybe 3 or 4 times a day.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

okay. so this is not your primary unit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We also have a refrigerator / freezer in our house. The freezer in the garage is for bulk storage.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Have you pulled the unit out from the wall and made sure that the coils are clean and the fan is running back there?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, but I will and get back to you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I pulled it from the wall and it doesn't appear that their is access to the coils. At the bottom you can see the compressor. After opening and closing the door, the fan kicks on and it runs smoothly.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

There is no cover on the back of the unit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No cover on the back, but it looks like there is a panel on the inside that is removable, that probably isn't typical.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Give me a minute to check something on this model.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

your coils are under the drain pan on this model, very cool indeed, great way for it to work.. You say that the fan is running nicely in the back of the unit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I pulled the cover from inside of the freezer and found the coils and they are clean. I'm watching the fan run and it is fine. I haven't heaRd the compressor run yet.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

If the fans are running, the compressor has to be running, is the compressor cold or warm at this time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Your right, it's warm.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Everything seems to be in order, there is not much that can be wrong, it is a very simple setup, the groaning might be from the temps inside the garage and the metal expanding and contracting, about the only thing on this that can really fail is the compressor, and the year this was made, they seem to last about 15 years or so. I think the groaning you are hearing is benign and just showing it's age like we do when we get older.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Tips are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sounds good, when the noise starts again, I will try to pin point where it's coming from.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Sounds Great...

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

I noticed that the question is still open, if there is nothing else you need, please rate my service to you today, so I may be credited with helping you...

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.