MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

I have a Viking dual fuel stove/range Model SC485-6GSS..I

Customer Question

I have a Viking dual fuel stove/range Model VD SC485-6GSS..I recently replaced the botttom Oven Element. now when stove heats up, trips breaker...I am thinking a relay for oven may be problem...this never happend in past 14 years until after i changed the bottom heat element.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 11 months ago.

The element ends are probably contacting the metal back wall and causing a short as this expands slightly from the heating. Pull the element out and bend the ends to allow more space. If you see signs of arcing then that's the proof.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what about the relay to the element..could that be bad and do you have a part number?

No. Check what I said to.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, I pulled the panel, the ends do stick a lot, I will bend and cover with black electrical tape as an insulator. I don't see any signs of arching however.

ok. If the breaker still trips then you will need to look at all the wiring on this and see what is shorting out as the issue can be anywhere.