Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE xl44 self cleaning gas range oven will not light the

Customer Question

my GE xl44 self cleaning gas range oven will not light the eyes on top do but the interior oven will not how do I fix
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Happy New Year!

It sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced. Since the cooktop still works you know the unit is getting power and gas. Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing. They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open. It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $65 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it. Otherwise it will cost about $170-200 to call someone and replace it for you. Below is a link to the igniter you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for igniter

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
isn't there a switch that I can turn that will get my oven lit today?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the owner manual speaks of an oven gas shut off valve?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what position should this switch be in to get the gas to flow?

There is not a bypass switch unfortunately. Also the oven shut off valve is NOT manually regulated. It opens and closes based on the amp draw of the igniter. I'm sorry but until you replace the igniter you can not get the oven working again. It's designed this way for safety reasons.

Now, you could swap the broil igniter at the ceiling with the bake igniter below the floor and that would get it going---but you'd likely need to cut and splice the wires behind the oven going to the igniters to perform this task.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can you recommend someone that can come out today at a reasonable price?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are you going to call today? I would like to speak to you!

I have sent over an option if you'd like to speak by phone. It's an additional $18 charge.

As for anyone that can come out today, I don't think there will be a single company that will come out same day on a holiday. I know here in Colorado where I'm located that is not an option.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
according to the GE owner manual the oven gas shut off valve for my sealed burner modelhas a lever bad in the diagram is shown as closed it says for me to pull to open it when I do the gas still seemingly does not flow question.when I turn on the broiler the light comes on and gets very hot but no gas comes out of the line?can you tell me what position this lever should be in?

This model doesn't have a lever, and it cuts gas to the cooktop burners as well even on models where it does have a lever. These manuals are made for multiple models and some of a shut off lever and others do not. The problem is your igniter, it needs to be replaced. If your broil igniter comes on, give it at least 5 minutes to open the gas valve. If it still won't open, then either you have 2 bad igniters or your oven gas safety valve is bad. You'd need an amp clamp to clamp the wire going to the igniter to see if it's drawing 3.2 amps or not and if it's not drawing 3.2 amps replace the igniter---otherwise replace the valve.