Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Name: Manfred - Problem: Whirlpool Duet front loading washer

Customer Question

Customer: Name: Manfred - Problem: Whirlpool Duet front loading washer Model # ***** - purchased in Sept 2015 - Near beginning of cycle heard a loud persistent humming noise - checked - "door light" flashing red - soap has gone into machine, but not bleach - water is turned on, but has not come into machine. Checked trouble shooting section of guide - pressed Control Lock for 3 seconds - nothing - door won't open - turned off machine for 15 minutes and tried again - same results - called Whirlpool - repair tech coming in 8 days (insane)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What more do you need to know? I can't think of anything else to tell you.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes - am willing to wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

First press the control lock button to unlock the control panel ,(the control lock has nothing to do with locking or unlocking the door).

You say that the detergent has gone into the machine but that no water has .

My question to you is how has the detergent gone into the unit if no water has come into the machine?

Did you overfill the detergent dispenser cup ?

When you power the unit up select as cycle and press and HOLD start for 3 seconds does the door lock as it is designed to do?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did not overfill the detergent dispenser cup. I don't know how the detergent has gone into the machine, but the load is still dry.
When I plugged the machine back in, I got a motor noise which sounds to me like the pump is running. I tried to select a cycle and pressed and held start for 3 seconds as you directed - but nothing lit up except the door lock light. I cannot open the door. The light is on where it says door lock.

ok the only way liquid detergent can get out of the dispenser cup is for it to be over filled and that creates a siphon effect that is how it is emptied by the water over flowing the cup.

If you get no water at all and the door is locked you will have to remove the lower front panel and reach up on the right side of the door and pull down on the door latch release lever to open the door .

And then try to operate the unit once again .

The unit should first do a child safety operation by locking the door ,unlocking the door and bringing in a burst of cold water wait 5 seconds and the relock the door.

If it just locks the door and nothing else ,I would suspect that you have a door latch /lock switch issue where the control board is not reconizing that the door is locked.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On this model WFW72HEDWO (direct drive) there is no separate lower front panel. The front panel is all one piece, above and below the door. In order to get the front panel off, I would have to open the door and I can't do that without breaking the lock. Unless you know another way to do it. Would it help if I could send you a picture of it or an online link to a picture?

if no front lower panel then you will have to remove the top washer panel to reach down on the right side to unlock the door.

I have the parts break down ,now!!

Your actual model number is ***** with a Zero on the end not a letter O

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good to know. Why they use zeros in serial numbers is beyond me!

the last digit is the engineering digit that tells of any changes that have been done ,all Whirlpools have a number on the end some go up as high as 15 -16

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't think I'm up to removing the top panel at this point. Guess I will wait for the repairman to come - scheduled for next Friday. Thanks for your help and Happy New Year.

ok no problem ,good luck

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he is good but he could not help danke schoen

no problem!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is thre any charge for manfred