Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My kitchenaid dishwasher won't completely drain. Could the

Customer Question

My kitchenaid dishwasher won't completely drain. Could the float switch be defective? The drain lines are clear.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

No the float just turns the water off if it was to overflow.

The drain pump is run off of time only ,if it is not fully draining you either have a drain line issue or a faulty drain pump impeller.

How have you tested the drain line?

They may drain but if it is restricted 25% some how that 25% more time needed for the water to drain out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected it from the disposal and ran it through a rinse cycle and water came through fine. It just didn't drain all of it.

with it disconnected did it drain all the water out then ?

And just looking at it flowing water you would not know if it was partially restricted or not

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I propped up the float and then ran it through a rinse cycle and it then drained completely.

the float has NOTHING to do with the unit draining!!

The float just turns the water inlet valve off if it was to overfill from getting too much water in the fill cycle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I know if the pump impeller was faulty?

by pulling it out and looking at it is the only way or to hook another drain line up an run the unit to see if it still does not drain all the water with each drain cycle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I go about pulling it out? Do I have to pull the dishwasher out?

I`m about to log off for the evening if the drain pump does need replaced here is a link for the part.

Yes the unit will need to be removed from the cabinets and layed on it`s back to access the drain pump.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/W10348269/2813258?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.