Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our kitchenaid dishwasher went on the fritz - many of the

Customer Question

Our kitchenaid dishwasher went on the fritz - many of the keys on the front keypad would not work/light up. The unit would start but not finish the cycle. I opened it up and found that the white circuit protector had blown, and that the wiring associated with it had some burnt spots near the point where they bundled a number of wires together. At that point I called a repairman, and he replaced that part, but the unit still didn't work. So I ordered a new circuit board and replaced it. The unit works fine now, but I noticed 2 of the wire connectors showed some heat damage at the point the connected to the circuit board. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

The wires should not show heat damage. The reason this occurs is because the board terminals are not making a good connection with the wire harness terminals so over time the wires heat up and likely the cause of your original problem. Without replacing the wires as well as the board you replaced, the issue will likely come back but there is no telling how long that could be.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How hard is it to replace the wiring bundles - can a normal dude like me do it? What parts should I order?I do have some pictures, I attached the one showing the bundles before the repair, and you can see the white breaker that failed.

So the only blackened wires I see are from the fuse wires. If you buy a new fuse it should come with new wiring and if you're handy you can replace it yourself. You'll need the full model number but you can order it from Repairclinic.com if you wanted.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The other areas are hidden by the plastic connectors. Mainly melting of the plastic bundle connector. You can see some of the heat signs in this picture of the failed board, near one of the pins in the upper right.

You would need to replace the wire harness then and that is not something easy to replace since it runs all the way through the door down below the dishwasher. You'd need to call a part store to look up the part number if you wanted to try to replace it yourself but I think you'll need a technician.