Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I'm ***** ***** We have an opal kelvinator upright freezer

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I'm ***** ***** We have an opal kelvinator upright freezer FN300F-L. Have just replaced the seal and switched it back on. It's cooling down but the outsides and back are getting very hot and the thermostat is not switching off. What could the problem be?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had to turn the little defrost swich that is inside to start the freezer as it wouldn't start otherwise. The thermo switch doesn't seem to be working as it doesn't switch off when it is working
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

This is all normal. The freezer expels the heat through the condenser coils which are located inside the outer panels. Whenever you first start up the freezer or any time the door has been opened for a very long time, the compressor will overwork. The compressor will not shut off until the inside thermostat reaches 0ºF (or -18ºC). Either way, it can be about 12 hours before it finally reaches the temperature depending on how long you had the door open and working on it but after that the unit should start to regulate the temperature and the outside will get much cooler and just be mildly warm like normal.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.