Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Nine-year-old Whirlpool side-by-side. During non-cooling

Customer Question

Nine-year-old Whirlpool side-by-side. During non-cooling cycle, I open the door on the refrigerator-side and I hear "ka-punk ka-punk . . . " accompanied by a slight dimming of the lights, in sync with the noise. At no particular time during this symptom, the two temperature selector lights will blink for a moment. Close the door and the sound stops. No such symptom occurs when the freezer door is opened.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

So unfortunately the problem is with your main control board under the refrigerator. When you open the door it's causing a power draw in the board and the board is cutting power to the other parts including the lights which is why them dim. It's a common problem with this model, and the part number is ***** Now the downside is that the part is no longer available and it's quite expensive. You can probably find a refurbished board on-line but they are usually very expensive at about $300+. The other option is to pull the refrigerator forward, remove the lower back access panel, and remove the control board inside the metal box in the far back right corner. Send the board into a place like Core Centric Solutions and they will refurbish the part but it usually takes about 1-2 weeks. I'm very sorry about the bad news with this refrigerator.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.