Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Kenmore elite gas dryer exhaust temperature is 120 degrees

Customer Question

kenmore elite gas dryer exhaust temperature is 120 degrees on manual mode supposed to be 155 to 165 on high
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

What is the ambient temperature where the dryer is located?

Where are you testing the exhaust temperature at?

what type of gas is the dryer hooked up to L/P or Natural gas?

And where did you ohm the thermistor out at ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the unit, even though it tested good, for $25.00 I went over to the local maytag shop and got a new replacement part and installed it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did not change anything

ok what part did you replace? and please answer the other questions that I asked please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replace the thermistor even when I tested the thermistor when it was in the unit, i read a thread that the old metal one were not the best so i went and purchase a new white one and installed it in the machine.

Have you removed the heater and made sure it is not shorted to ground/ chassis?

And I still need these questions answered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see the other questions,
Natural Gas
testing the exhaust temp right out of the back of the dryer not exhaust tube hook up both glass bulb and digital thermometer were the same reading 120 degrees maybe pushing 125 on high setting
ambient temperature inside our home where the dryer is located about 68 degrees
removed the heater and made sure it is not shorted to ground/ chassis have not done this not sure what you asking me to do remove the gas valve unit? I can do that if you think it is shorted.

and your only getting a temperature of 120 °and the gas valve never shuts off correct?

and what setting are you using on the dryer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It said in the tech sheet to put the unit on timed dry, end of cycle signal high, and the setting on the modifiers was on high, do you want me to run it again real quick?

yes please let`s run it once again and test the exhaust temp and see if the flame ever cycles off or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do be right back

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Woody,
Being as fair as I can, the mercury type 135 degrees, and digital type 141.2,the burner was on all the time with no cycling, dryer on high heat. When I put a heavy jean load in it the other day, set it on heavy, it said it was going to run approx 54 minutes with 11 minutes left the unit stopped and my clothes were wet. I spent another 2 hours on the same setting trying to get them dry and finally made it. In that mode you can here the click when the igniter come on and then you can hear the burner light, at this point I would say the burner runs for 5 minutes or so and then cycles, and then comes back on. I did a sensor test with a wet washcloth and did get a beep in diagnostic mode and cleaned the sensor bars with alcohol.

ok so then the burner /flame does cycle on /off .

Have you run this test with the vent disconnected to the outside of the home if not lets do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Woody,
Sorry the flame/burner stays on all the time, does not cycle, do you still want me to run a vent temp test?

run the dryer with out the vent connected to the dryer at all ,and test the temperature of the air coming out of the dryer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Woody,
that is what is just completed, ran the with no vent on the unit what so ever, held the thermometers just barley inside the vent, did not go back into the vent, got the results I just gave you. I could push the thermometers back into the unit vent further, but I had them in the vent about 1/4 of a inch.

and you are 100% sure the flame is not cycling on /off during this time? there is NO WAY that if the flame is constantly on that you would be ONLY getting 120 ° air out of the dryer!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I can here the flame, but I will take the front lower panel off the unit and then watch it to make sure, will having the front panel off effect the temperature? I did get 140 degrees or so this time but that was on the highest setting. So I will take the the front panel off and make sure it does not cycle, and measure the temp again. be back as soon as I can

just remove the lower front panel and no that will not effect the operation at all .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Woody,
Here is what I came up with, put the dryer on time dry, high heat, heard the click seen the red glow burner came on in about 30 seconds and ran it for 20 minutes never cycled once 142 degrees out the back exhaust. Then I shut it down, started it again on extra low heat, at 97 degrees heard the click seen the red glow burner came on heated up to 107 and cycled off, got back down to 95 burner came back on and went up to 107 and cycled. Shut the machine off again, restarted on low heat, burner came on got the machine up to 127 and cycled, got back down to 97 and the burner started again. I shut the machine off started it on medium heat, the burner came on stayed on for 15 minutes or so and never cycled, I think because we never got up past about 139 exhaust temperature. Then put the machine back on high heat ran it for another 15 minutes or so measured the temperature with 5 different thermometers, and all except one never got past 140. I calibrated them with my two home thermostats and the exterior temperature on my truck and none were off more that 5 degrees. 2 of them that I probably trust the most were the same, 2 were lower by about 5 degrees, and one was higher by about 5 degrees. But on high heat the burner never cycled and I ran it for at least 20 minutes and would not get past 140 degrees.

Ok all the temperatures are with in the manufactures specs!

High 155° +- 10 °

Medium High 150° +- 10°

Medium 140° +- 10°

Low 125° +-10°

Extra Low 105° +- 10 °

And what cycle did you have selected when doing this test?

ok where are you located in the U.S.?

and when the flame is lite is it a blue flame?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Woody,
timed cycle
Prescott Arizona, 5000 feet in elevation, 18 degrees outside my home this morning, but 68 degrees in the laundry room
yes looked to me like a big blue flame, as I was laying on the ground watching it burn, I would blow into the flame tube and the flame would turn yellow just for a second and turn back to blue.
So my big question is timed dry, all of the loads we put in come out wet or very damp no matter what cycle we use, your can here the flame cycle on and off, but when the dryer get finished and the light says clothes dry, but they are definitely wet or very damp. The last load I did I ran the dryer with the dryer on the heavy cycle, ti took 3 times to get them dry, and way over two hours before the clothes got completely dry. It was not really a heavy load just a couple of jeans and a few other items but I wanted to see if I could get them dry on that cycle.Each time I restart the dryer after the dryer says my clothes are dry, it goes back to saying my clothes are wet, then after a while it goes to damp, then with 3 minutes left cool down, it does this every time I rerun the dryer after the first session. So on timed cycle it just does not dry the clothes the way it is supposed to, you just have to keep rerunning them over & over.

ok where are you located in the U.S.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prescott Az, my home in 5600 feet in elevation, 18 degrees outside this morning, 68 inside the laundry roomit was a big blue flame, and when I was watching it for cycling i would blow into the flame tube and the flame would go yellow for a brief second and go back to blue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can take a picture of the flame and email it to you if you want?

ok that elevation is what is killing the heat that is why the heat is not getting hotter .

Other then that the temps are with in the manufactures specs.

It just takes so long to get there.

I know it is not what you want to hear but it is working and heating the best it can in the elevation your at .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are correct its not what I want to hear but I have the old maytag neptune gas dryer in my garage that we are replacing only because the washer went bad, and it would dry our clothes just fine on any setting. So I'm going to do a heavy load in the washer put it in the h3 dryer and give you the results. If it takes 3 to 4 hours to dry one load them something is wrong here. Then I will go back to the Neptune and measure the exhaust temps coming out of it. I will let you know in a few hours. Thanks.

it is possible the old dryer has has the burner orifice changed out to a different orifice then what originally comes with the dryer .

Which means you would have to contact your gas supplier to see if that is something they could do for you. but the new dryer manufacturer Whirlpool now owns Maytag does not do that any longer.they consider that as modifying the appliance and will not do that under warranty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4 on that but it is hard to believe that the 150k folks that live up here should not purchase Kenmore Dryers because they do not work up here? If this is so I'm going to have to contact Whirlpool on this situation and see what they have to say about that. I will also go the the big box stores up here Sears, Home Depot and Lowes to see if they have stop selling these dryers because of this problem. I keep you posted on my way to Sears now.
Thanks,

ok good luck!