Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE Profile oven locked the door cleaning before I had a

Customer Question

My GE Profile oven locked the door for self cleaning before I had a chance to close the door. Now I can't cook, clean or do anything till I get that lock to open.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

This should actually be a fairly easy issue to fix. When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally.

If that doesn't work, tape the door switch so it's pushed in and the oven thinks the door is shut. Then unplug the oven or turn power off at the breaker for 60 seconds and re-apply power and that will reset the latch if the latch hasn't failed.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried everything you suggested and nothing works
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If what I said doesn't work and the latch won't reset, then your latch just failed and the latch would need to be replaced I'm sorry to say.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just paid 28.00 and you can't help me????????????
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I can't control what fails on your oven. I have helped you. I have told you what needs to be done to reset the issue and if that doesn't work you need to replace the latch? How is that not helpful?