Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE profile fridge is freezing food. From previous

Customer Question

My GE profile fridge is freezing food. From previous searches I've gathered it's likely a damper but I'm having a hard time finding it. I've taken out both drawers and there is what appears to be a cover for it, but when I try to remove it, it's difficult to remove, maybe frozen, and behind it seems to be styrofoam that is taped with masking tape which seems a bit strange.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So you're looking in the correct area, there is a damper assembly located behind the back panel inside the freezer. If you pull the drawers out at the bottom of the refrigerator you'll see the damper assembly. Below is a link to the damper assembly so you can see what it looks like and this part needs to be replaced. The masking tape is just what they use for styrofoam---that is normal.

CLICK HERE for damper assembly

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it just lift out? I only saw one screw but when I try to lift it up and out it seems to still be attached. Once removed, how do I know that's the problem?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You can't really confirm for 100% certain it's the problem by inspecting it. If the refrigerator is too cold then either the damper is bad or the sensor is bad. You can't test the damper but the sensor is behind a little 2" white plastic vent in the side wall of your refrigerator near the back somewhere. You can cut this sensor out and put it in ice water to test resistance through it to see if it's good. It should be 16.3k Ohms and if so then the sensor is good, otherwise you need to replace the damper.

Yes the damper should just lift out when you remove the screw but it'll be stuck pretty good usually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, got it out, didn't expect the styrofoam to be the actual sensor/damper. The black piece that acts like the damper seems pretty stiff but I don't really know how it works, so maybe that's normal. It was closed when I removed it and then I messed with it so now it's slightly open. Does the sensor just tell it when to open and close? Doesn't seem sophisticated enough to do that.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the sensor tells it when to open or close based on the temperature inside the refrigerator.