Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

On every cycle, when it gets down to 1 minute, the 1 minute

Customer Question

On every cycle, when it gets down to 1 minute, the 1 minute lasts for 21/2 hours before it goes to zero. What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. Unfortunately this is a very common issue and it means that your control board inside the door has failed. There is a relay on the board that shorts out. This relay sends power to the heater, so when it fails the dishwasher doesn't wash well and it will run forever trying to heat the water hotter which will never happen so it sticks on "1" at the end of the cycle. I know you said the water is hot, but it's not getting hot enough or the unit would cycle. The control board in the upper right hand corner of the door and you'll need to replace it in order to fix the problem. To look up the proper control board, you'll need the full model number which is located on a sticker on the right side of your door and can be seen if you open the door. The part is usually about $200.

To access the control board, just open the door and remove all the screws around the border of the door except the 2 down by the bottom of the door hinge, just loosen those two. Once you have those out, remove the 2 coming in from the sides of the control panel (left and right). The control panel will then pull off and you can access the control board inside. Remove the control panel and there are 3 tabs on the bottom of the control board you need to depress. Push on the tabs and remove the control board, then switch over connections one at a time and you should be good to go again.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.