Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a KitchenAid KSSC36FMS01 and I just replaced the

Customer Question

I have a KitchenAid KSSC36FMS01 and I just replaced the Inverter Box. The refrigerator just died stopped cooling. Had a paid technician tell me I needed a new inverter box as power coming out of the main control was proper, but there was no power going out of the inverter. Now just have an LED blinking 4 times on the new inverter, but compressory does not start. All of the fans and everything work. We have performed the system diagnostics and the only thing that does not pass is that it will not start the compressor. We tested the compressor at all the pins and it is at 6.2 ohms, which according to the factory wiring sheet it should be registering between 6-7 ohms. Not just if the compressor is just seized up?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. 4 flashes means there is a problem with the compressor. Are the connections good on the compressor from the inverter? Do you have an ohm meter to test the windings on the compressor?

Sorry, I see you tested it electrically. Did you test for any reading to ground from each terminal?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay good to know!! We tested the compressor at all three points and they all read at 6.2 ohms. According to the wiring sheet it is supposed to be between 6 and 7 ohms. I am wondering if it is seized up
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We tested for reading to ground and it read 0 or infinity.

If there is no short to ground it must be stuck as you suggest. The inverter outputs a 230vdc simulated 3 phase but if it gives the 4 blinks it means there is something wrong with the compressor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The weird thing is that coming out of the inverter we are only getting 8 volts coming out phase to phase - could that be that it is the variable voltage?

I have tested it and saw the 200+ dc reading so that doesn't sound right. You have 120ac on the black white input to the inverter and 3-6dc on the red and redWhite?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
7.3 on the red and white.

Was the output the same with the original inverter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The original inverter we had absolutely nothing coming out of it at all.

I don't know if all meters will properly read the simulated 3 phase. What meter do you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is a craftsman clamp vom -

And you were set on a dc scale on any two leads?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Model 82372
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can we try and read phase to ground maybe?

Never did that and any two lease should get the reading but in training we were told not to even try to read the output for safety reasons. Your input to the inverter is correct and with a good inverter I have to think the problem is the compressor especially since the inverter diagnostics is saying the same thing. It could be that since it see a compressor failure it drops the output.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do we go about testing the output voltage again? We just wanted to double check it - should the compressor be plugged in?

Yes, it needs to be connected and trying to start.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah we are getting 18 volts ac no dc but the side of the inverter says 150 hrz so that would be ac right?

Not sure about the hertz but the output is simulated 3 phase ac. I think I did say dc. I think we need to go with the 4 blink diagnostics and say the compressor is the problem and may be causing the drawdown of the output. These compressors are reliable but it cn happen. There could be 10 year parts warranty. How old is the refrig?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think you are right. I am not sure of the age, I think it is 8 years old.

It is worth checking to see if it is under warranty. The uses and care guide list the compressor is covered fpor 12 years. Labor would not be cover though and you need to use a company that does warranty.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay - that is good to know. Thanks!!

Best wishes and Happy New Year!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thought I would give you an update. We hooked it up to a freon machine and absolutely no freon - we added freon and used a leak detector, found a leak in the evaporator, pin hole leak right where the heater has rubbed up against the evaporator. I bet the freon leaked out, starved the compressor for oil and seized up! Surprising that these systems don't have a low pressure switch.

Glad you found the leak before you replaced the compressor. With a low side leak you will need to flush the highside good but then it will be reliable again. I never saw a low pressure switch on any domestic unit. Adds too much cost I guess. Take care!

Do you still need any help with the refrigerator?