Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

My Kenmore 500 washer motor will not start or run. I have

Customer Question

Customer: My Kenmore 500 washer motor will not start or run. I have completed most basic troublshooting, including testing the capacitor with an ohm meter. last night, i removed the water pump for the back of the washer mnotor and applied power to the machine, depending on which direction i spun the motor by hand, the machine started and either agitated or spun fine. i am curious if the cap is bad or it the centrifigul switch is bad, or another component I am not aware of.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what else do you need to know? I am en electrical engineer with 10 years experience in PT equipment applications, my experience is in three phase motors and servos, but never spent much time with single phase machines
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Bob, that is fine, with 23 years of major appliance repair, I suspect you have an idea of what the issue is, I would gladly wait a bit and pay $18 if it saves me from wasting another hour on my broken machine and ordering parts I don't need.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for your interest in our service. If you have been waiting a while
I apologize as I try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner. I am now
available to help you with your question. Give me just a minute and I will be right with you working on your answer now. Thanks.

did you try running the machine without the pump on, and the capacitor hooked up? sometimes the pump can jam and cause the motor not to spin. If you are having to start the motor by spinning it with your hand first with the capacitor hooked up then the cap is bad. The centrifugal switch has nothing to do with the motor starting, it basically just is there to supply the other 110 volt leg to the heating element so that it only has 220 volts to heat when the motor is running.

I am now working on your answer so

PLEASE take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, I Kindly ask you to rate my service AT This Time by clicking on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find but it's there).

Also be aware that this rating is for the quality of my response, not a rating for the overall experience you have had on this site.

Rating me will not in any way affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Happy Holidays!

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this

issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I

can put this question on my completed list. I took the time to help you please take the time to help me. Thank You so much for your understanding and support! If you feel there is a reason you should not give me a rating please let me know, otherwise please go ahead and do that for me Thanks.