Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a new KitchenAid canopy hood that has it's own fan

Customer Question

I have a new KitchenAid canopy hood that has it's own fan motor. And I have an older KitchenAid exterior blower that is mounted outside the house. For a number of reasons I would like to use the exterior blower with this new canopy hood and it's speed control.
I called Whirlpool (makers of KitchenAid) and ask them if the blower and the new hood were compatible. Three different calls and three different service reps all said it was but I'd have to remove the fan motor from the hood. Which I did. It is a Elica model EZ-40F, 120v, 60hz, 260w, 2.2A, Thermally Protected.
But on removing the fan motor I noticed that there is a nine pin connector on the fan motor. All nine wires run in to the fan motor from the hood housing. My exterior blower only has four wires.
So I went to the wiring diagram of both but I have no clue how to read it and how to determine what wires to connect.
I was told that Elica motor is a variable speed and my exterior blower is not. I also was told that I need a variable switch that will work with the hood's controls. Do you know what this part is called and where I might find it? If possible a part number please. Is it possible to remove this part from the fan motor and wire it to my exterior blower?
Can someone please that is qualified help me get this working properly?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! It may be possible to rewire the old motor and just install a generic on off, or maybe a high low speed control switch. However, I will need to know what the old motor is or the model of the old hood. There is not a recommended switch so it will need to be a custom installation. I don't think you will be able to use the control on the new hood. Can you provide information on the old motor, please?