John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My mod is 561, s/n 774371. 23 + years old. Freg side temp

Customer Question

my mod is 561, s/n 774371. 23 + years old. Freg side temp was running separated. had to set temp dial at 3 to stay in freg. zone temp.'s This didn't always suit the problem. Called repair man, on site he stated to replace the thermostat cnt, which was done with a new one supposedly from the factory.
I should of stayed with the earlier problem. Now, third trip later : with freg set at ( 7 ) the temp ranges between 20 & up to 55 degrees. On the second trip found & replaced the motor & fan which is inside & at top of freg. ( ** sorry don't recall name, guess meant to circulate air with-in freg.) also wired so the ( this) fan ran only when the compressor was running, it dad ran continual.
After that visit temp ran between 20 to 55 degrees. Next visit he ( adjust the position of the two thermostat bulbs ).
No go, problem still exists - called repairman, his ans., to order & replace the thermostat cnt .
any in put here ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Kevin, one of the tech's here on JA.

You explained quite a bit of things related to controls, other than the fan motor wiring. Has anyone looked at the charge or efficiency of the compressor for this unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had asked the repair person that. He seemed to THINK the compress was ok. Answer seemed logical as at start of all this the freg stayed in the correct zone, yet with the cent set at ( 3 )
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

I'm not familiar with this model, but the I replaced a compressor on a Sub Zero, which had 2 compressors, one for freezer, one for refrigerator. I will add though, if it is the refrigerator section where the temp goes up, the compressor could be having a problem starting. this would allow the temperature to climb easily to 50 degrees, but the frozen section will stay frozen for some time.

Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

This is precisely why I ask if the compressor is ok. It could be working fine when the service man gets there and then kicks out at times. Maybe start components?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's all for now "K" , Merry Christmas to you. F/. HZ
Expert:  Kcrand36 replied 1 year ago.

Same to you Harry. Have a great day and a happy new year.