Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Whirlpool ice bin in door seems to be defrosting, sheet

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, My name is ***** ***** my Whirlpool ice bin in door seems to be defrosting, sheet of thin ice under ice bin. could this involve the door flap on the chute?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: small drips of water coming from ice dispenser in door, sheet of thin ice under ice bin, ice in bin looks slightly defrosted
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for your interest in our service. If you have been waiting a while
I apologize as I try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner. I am now
available to help you with your question. Give me just a minute and I will be right with you working on your answer now. Thanks.

If the ice chute flap on the dispenser is staying open this can certainly cause the issue you are having, if its not staying open then you have a temperature issue in the freezer which could be several different issues like a bad evaporator fan motor (the fan motor in freezer not running) a defrost problem where ice has built up enough on the evaporator coil to cause air flow issues, but if any of those were the problem then your refrigerator section would not have the proper temps either. Best thing to do if the flap is not open, is to monitor the temps in the freezer for the next few days and see what the average temperature is.

If it is the flap let me know I will get you the part numbers you will need to repair the issue. thanks.

in the meantime:

I am now working on your answer so

PLEASE take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, I Kindly ask you to rate my service AT This Time by clicking on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find but it's there).

Also be aware that this rating is for the quality of my response, not a rating for the overall experience you have had on this site.

Rating me will not in any way affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Happy Holidays!

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this

issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I

can put this question on my completed list. I took the time to help you please take the time to help me. Thank You so much for your understanding and support! If you feel there is a reason you should not give me a rating please let me know, otherwise please go ahead and do that for me Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
am monitoring temps, so far fine, chute door seems to be closing, what about element in chute door? merry christmas

give me the model number of the unit please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
whirlpool gold model# *****

that model does not have any kind of heater in the chute assembly. So something else is causing the ice to melt either the freezer temps are not cycling right letting it get above freezing at time or possibly a bad door seal, but if it were a bad door seal you would see ice crystals built up else where in the freezer as well. So Im at a loss on this one I will have to opt out so that maybe another tech will have some ideas. Thanks.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Oddly, the parts breakdown shows this model does not use an ice door heater but the wiring diagram from the manufacturer shows different, see the attached page. So, it is likely that the ice door heater has failed. Do you have a meter to perform any testing with?