Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Own Maytag Gemini double ovens only 1 1/2 years old and I am

Customer Question

Own Maytag Gemini double ovens only 1 1/2 years old and I am not happy. Problem started after the warranty expired when noticed when I bake that the temperature is not what it was set. I bake at 350 but the temp inside is either 400 or 300 as it goes back and forth. Right now I preheated for 375 and the temp inside is 425. I purchased a temp gage for the top and the bottom ovens and the same thing happens in both. When I called Maytag, they advised w/o a contract there will be a charge but they do not believe it could be the stove itself. I have been baking over 30 years with Maytag ovens never had problems until I decided that a double oven was perhaps better. I guess I was wrong! What do you suggest and hope you can help. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.
.

During the month of December, all ratings of 3 stars or more, 1/2 of the payment will be donated to help homeless veterans, also all tips given will be donated to 100% to Autism Support Groups.

I am sorry to hear this, before we continue, I need to let you know we are not the manufacturer of anything, we are only repair people, if that is good with you we can continue...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not want any additional charge on my account! I agreed to a $37.00 ONE TIME CHARGE and cancel after this conversation. ThanksI understand that you are not the manufacturer---but would like an idea of what I can do to correct this or if this will require a tech to come to my house..
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Okay, just You may not like this, but I will tell you why this is what it is. You are correct on the big swings in temps are, but Whirlpool, who makes Maytag now since 2006 designed to be this way, They don't measure air temps for the heat, they do the figure on oil temp. To put it simply they figure if there is 16 oz of oil in the oven and you cook it at 350 degrees for 1 hour, the oil temp will not change more the 5 degrees either way. So even if yo look at it from you stand point, if you average your temps high and low ranges, they will equal out to about 350 degrees, this save Whirlpool much money in technology to keep the costs down.. Have I explained this to you satisfactory?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No- definitely not. How can you bake anything when the temp inside the oven is not what it was set for.
I set is for 350 and cannot put in my cake because the temp is either 300 or over 400 degrees. I never had this problem when I had a single oven--I would set it for 375 and it was 375 inside the oven----put in my tray to bake and it worked fine.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Back 10 years ago, they temp difference would only be 10 degrees, but the work to make the parts that could do that cost a lot to make, so they went cheaper and use this as the excuse,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The being a tech-----please explain to me HOW I am supposed to ***** in an OVEN where the temperature is never what it was set to be! Why follow any recipes----how is food supposed to be done and how many cakes will flop if they are not baked at the correct temps? My furnace in our house is set at 66 and it does not go higher then what it is set----but a oven which we use to cook is over 50 degrees higher to prepare food and that is supposed to be acceptable?
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Are you saying the temps stay over 350 degrees up to 400 degrees? or they swing while cooking from 300 to 400 degress while set at 350?

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Here is a page out of the owners manual for calibrating the oven

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I preheat my oven to 350-----the indicator tells it is preheated and I can put my cake in the oven------but when I check the temp it is over 400. This temp stays at 400 and does not read 350. Likewise, the indicator my tell me that the oven is preheated when I set it is 350 but when I check inside, it could be only 310. I do not know what the problem is but I do not have the temp inside the oven reading the same as what I set it for. Did calibrate adding 15 degrees but it has not changed anything---the temps are not consistent and I have thrown away more ingredients in the past year then I have done over 30 years.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry, I am going to opt out and I will try to find another expert to help you, I am having a hard time coming up with an explanation, please be patient...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you---can you see why I am upset and looking for help to this problem. I appreciated your input
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

I come from a family of caterers I learned to cook before I learned to talk... I know your frustrations, that is why all my cooking equipment comes from Europe now...

Merry Christmas and Happy New year..... God Bless you..