The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My Maytag washer is not spinning all of the water out of the

Customer Question

My Maytag washer is not spinning all of the water out of the clothes. It spins most of the water out, but the clothes are still soaking wet. What can I do? I've got a household of visitors!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Can you supply the model number so I can better assist you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have that number.

If this is a top load it is under the lid. A front load is inside the door. Without this I won;'t know what style you have.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll have to go down to the basement to get it. Hold on.

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no number under the lid. It says Commercial Maytag 2 speed super capacity 8 cycles

If this is an older mode it may be on the back. Without the mode number I won't be able to help you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am unable to move it. Don't you have an idea of what is wrong?

Are the clothes pushed out to the sides at all? Maybe it didn't spin at all and only drained?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was spinning.

Could be something clogged and draining sloly etc. I won't be much help without knowing your model. I will opt out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Let me go back down and look and see if it is spinning.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well what could be clogged
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 11 months ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. Dave has opted out of your question so I will see if I can get you going again.

The model number is ***** of hidden. look way towards the back of the open lid. It may have soap residue covering it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I get back to you after my husband gets home. He may find the number

That will be fine. I will be off and on as I am doing some plumbing work here at home. I will be up for at least 3 more hours.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The model number is ***** or 7duk

sorry but that is not a good model number. the model number will be located on the manufacturers label.

It will be something like, or similar to LLLNNLNN where N= number and L= letter

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, the model number is ***** I gave you the serial number.

Okay. LOL! one moment please.

Okay. It looks like you may have lost a drive belt. Pull the unit out and tip it back far enough so you can look under it. There are two belts. make sure that both are on the pulleys. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both belts are on.

Okay. if belts are ok then the next thing we need to do is confirm that the unit is spinning. If it is then we will have to locate the restriction.

Start a cycle and let the unit fill. Once the fill cycle stops advance it to a spin cycle. It should pump out the water and start to spin.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is 12:20 AM here. Can we resume in the morning? Thank you. I will get on after we do what you suggested in the morning. Is that okay?

Sure. I will be in and out all day tomorrow but will check in when I can.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good morning! We just filled the washer with water and then turned it to spin cycle. All of the water spun out. I think I will try a small load and see what happens. While I was reading the manual I read that we were supposed to clean the lint filter after each wash. I had never done that. Yikes! I cleaned it out. Maybe that was what was wrong. Possibility?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We ran clothes through the cycle. It spins, but the clothes are still soaked. The clothes were along the side of the tub. It seems that it does not spin completely.

Sorry for not replying sooner. Been a crazy day. Expecting snow tonight and many of my regular customers are elderly and freak out when they hear the word snow.

It seems that your break is not releasing completely to allow the tub to spin up to full rpm. This is a common issue with these type of units. If you are mechanically inclined I can provide you with the service information. It is not a job for a novice DIYer, but with a decent box of hand tools, and me here to help, it can be done.

Let me know if you want to tackle this and I will upload the information.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My husband is handy and my son in law, an electrician, is here visiting from CA. Please let us know what to do. I know you are probably tired after a hard day.

Not tired yet, but I will be when I get off from my part time job tonight (doorman at the local nightclub). I'll upload the manual for you be just a few minuets.

Please click here to download the manual. If you have any questions just post them here. I'm off to a hot shower and then its back to work.

Best, Smitty.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Which page of the manual addresses this problem?

It starts on page 3-41. Before you tear it apart tilt the unit so you can access the drive pulley. Turn it clockwise and see if the brake is disengaging. If it doesn't it will be hard to turn. Also check that the drive belt is not shiny. If it is that indicates that the belt is worn out and needs to be replaced.