How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelly Your Own Question
Kelly
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 19129
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Kelly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We had ants in the display where the clock is and I sprayed

Customer Question

Customer: we had ants in the display where the clock is and I sprayed inside the display and took it out of the microwave and when I put it back together the clock comes on with 88:88 flashing but the touch pad is not working
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it is a Sharp R200L microwave
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The moisture from the spray cleaner probably got into the contacts in the membrane switch. You may need to replace the control touch panel but there is a trick you can try first. Turn off the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while rubbing firmly over each of the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The hairdryer didn't work I had to buy a new microwave. I even tried to clean everything with alcohol wipes and compressed air can
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

The touch panel is faulty then, damaged by the spray. Thank you for posting back. Have a Merry Christmas in spite of it! :-)