How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 78186
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Model mdb 7749sbb2. i had to remove my DW new floor

Customer Question

model mdb 7749sbb2. i had to remove my DW for a new floor installation. my cabinet wall adjacent to the DW's left side was all warped/bubbled (indicating to me water and/or steam exit from DW). the left side exterior of the DW has white hose (1/2' ID?) and black hose (1/4" ID?) at a plastic box with a 'flapper' lid ... mech schematic reads these components are drain/overflow parts. any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Steam will always exit from these hoses, that is 100% normal. Water should only exit if the dishwasher is overflowing. If you have cabinets that are sensitive to moisture (melamine cabinets like more cabinets resist most moisture) then all you can do is put a sheet of metal or something onto the side wall of your cabinet to prevent the steam from causing problems with the cabinet.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
telling me 'they all do it' is not an acceptable answer. my cabinet wall is severely warped/bubbled
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I think you're reading only half of what I said or not reading it correctly at all. I didn't say all cabinets bubble warp. I said all these dishwasher model vent out the side of the dishwasher from the overflow. Clearly you have a problem and it needs to be corrected. Most people don't run into problems because their wood is resistant to steam. if you have solid wood cabinets or some other material that doesn't handle moisture well, then that is why you can warping and the wall is bubbled. You would have to install a metal panel to protect the wall from moisture as I mentioned before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i read and understood your reply. this is the 3rd maytag dishwasher I have had in this house ... and the first time I have had an issue with my cabinet wall. so its difficult for me to understand that 'they all do it' meaning that all maytag dishashers have this behavior
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

"This model" you're missing that part. Other models don't vent out the side, they'll vent out the door. Some Frigidaire models vent out the top. This model vents out the side. It's just the way it's designed.

Related Appliance Questions