Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have an Amana Model AMV1160VAS-2 Microwave. A few weeks

Customer Question

I have an Amana Model AMV1160VAS-2 Microwave. A few weeks ago we heard a loud SNAP and a spark shot out. Since then, it sounds and looks like it's working but, doesn't heat food. I pulled the cover off and there are no "arc" marks and the control fuse is not blown. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.

Hi, that usually indicates a faulty mag tube. The top of the mag burns and causes the arch. Sometimes it will continue to arch and other it completely stops. You need a new magnetron. Check the use and care guide some of these units had factory extended warranties on the mag tubes. If you're out of that, the average cost to fix is roughly $300. You need high voltage experience to replace the mag. A microwave can hold lethal voltage even unplugged. I work on the honor system here @ Just Answers. Please remember to rate my answer positively before logging off. Thanks!