Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Filter check light flashing and dryer will not start.

Customer Question

filter check light flashing and dryer will not start. Samsung DV350AEW/XAA.
Checked filter, duct, vacuumed out inside of dryer. Checked continuity of thermistor, thermal fuse, continuity of door switch. Checked belt. Heating element works. Dryer starts intermittently on very rare occasions. No way to reliably start it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

If the door switch checks good and the thermal fuse has continuity, you'll want to check the belt switch next to the motor which the tensioner pulley triggers when the belt is tight. If the belt switch is open that will cause this issue. I would just put a jumper wire between the 2 wires going to the belt switch to test and see if the dryer will run. If that works then replace the switch---otherwise replace the main relay control board because the board is just failing.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tested the belt switch for continuity. Switch works as it should. Circuit opens when depressed, no continuity. Closed when not depressed, continuity. Is there any way to test the main relay control board? Is that a common failure?

You can not test the main control board unfortunately. You have to test everything else which you have done and then by process of elimination the board is at fault. I'd say the board probably fails 33% of the time or so when you have this condition I find. The most common issue is that the belt is broken or the thermal fuse is open.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would the control board explain why on rare occasions the dryer will run?

Yes, control boards are often sporadic when they fail.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will try that and report back.

OK good luck. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Replacing the main control board did not resolve the issue. Any other ideas?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I am waiting for an answer to my original question.