Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Frigidaire FFU12F2HW.. 2 years old. It has about

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire FFU12F2HW.. 2 years old. It has about 1"of frost on the bottom back wall and the top shelf has been thawing out. Door gasket is good.. Door was kept shut.. Bottom shelves stayed frozen ..I've turned the temp knob up 3 settings so it is at the coldest and still its not freezing the top shelf.. please help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

You are missing the last number off the model number it ranges from 0-9 like FFU12F2HW7

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Im using my receipt to get the model #.. just looked at the freezer and cant find any other numbers
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is there somewhere I can look?

ok I will use the 7 then !

This model has a mechanical defrost timer that is nothing more then a clock to advance it into ant out of defrost .

Lets pull the unit out and manually advance the timer knob till the unit stops running .

At that time the unit should be n defrost ,and then wait 5-7 minutes and open the door and listen for any popping or sizzling as it water is dripping on a hot object

Here is a part break down the timer is item # *****

Let me know if you hear the sizzling or not after 7-10 minutes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Advanced the knob and the motor stopped... I immediately hear some popping... maybe not sizzling yet but will wait the 7-10 minutes. Is the frozen food going to thaw?

no it will not get that warm in the interior of the freezer only behind the rear interior panel will be the heat.

This will tell us if the issue is the timer ,not advancing into defrost or if it is the defrost circuit inside the freezer behind the rear interior wall.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think its been 10 minutes.. no popping and sizzling sounds when I open the door :-/

ok do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it?

To be able to do any testing.

And the shelves and the rear interior lower panel will need to be removed so w can manually defrost the ice.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Checking on the meter... I will prepare the lower shelves... my sister has a freezer down the street I could put food in.. Kind of a pain...am I best off emptying all the food or just putting it on higher shelves?

you can leave it in the unit and put it on the upper shelves and on the counter you will not have it out for more then 20-30 min so it will not defrost ,if nothing else cover it with towels to insulate it

Once you have the food moved around and the rear interior panel ,let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My husband will have to look for the meter... he thinks we have one and he does know how to use it. He's looking and I'll move things around..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok.. Bottom two shelves are empty

ok and if you have one later we will need a hair dryer to defrost the built up ice also.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok.. found the meter.. seems to be a small amount of water leaking under the fridge. I dont have a hair dryer but i have a heat gun

oh a heat gun is even better.

And if you have any water coming from the unit it may be defrosting can you still not hear any sizzling and or see a orange glow from that rear wall in the freezer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No sizzling...we can hear dripping when the door is open..
I found the model # ***** the last digit is 8

ok on the #8 and is the frost really built up it may be surrounding the heater?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no glow.. there is a sound when I stick my head in the door but it really just sounds like dripping.. the frost is melting and I have not applied heat.. should I?

yes start at the bottom and go up!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The frost was not "really built up" I would say 3/4 to an inch if that.. is disappearing quickly.. applying heat now

ok if it is disappearing on it`s own some thing has to be melting it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm needing a big towel on the floor to soak up the water.. my husband has the volt-ohm as well

ok we still need to verify if the unit is heating itself or not first if you can.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how should we do that?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can hear a sizzle now... used the heat gun for a minute or two now we're definitely hearing a lot of sizzling
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
should i keep the door open?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All frost is gone

ok no go ahead and put the rear panel back on it will defrost itself ,now that we know it is heating .

That means the defrost timer is just not automatically advancing into defrost .

And the defrost timer will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Timer/297318010/2024665?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=216744500?rcaid=1000070

Sorry I had to wait for the parts site to open it was very slow doing so. If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
should I do anything to get the cooling started again in the meantime?

Yes wait about 10 min and advance the timer until you here the unit start back up

It should cool fine for 4-5 days before you get the part.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is replacing the timer something I can do myself? is this a common thing to malfunction after 2 years? also I had turned the temp to the coldest setting tying to stop the thawing yesterday... should I turn it back down?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ordered part... looks easy..Thank you for your help! Still just wondering about temp setting?

yes the timer can be replaced with basic hand tools yes turn the temp back down to the normal setting

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

I want to close this question for the first of the month do you need assistant or not please let me know either way!!