John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a french door Amana refrigerator. The freezer is

Customer Question

I have a french door Amana refrigerator. The freezer is super cold but the refrigerator wasn't cold. I read that it might be ice clogging the path to the fridge. I took the cover off and there was no ice problem, but the plastic spring loaded door between the two was stuck in the closed position. I opened the door and stuck a toothpick in it to keep it open. What is the mechinism to open and close it? Is there a switch? Is it a thermostat? Is it bad to have the "trap door" open all the time?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can see how your damper assembly is controlled? The damper assembly is the flap that you are talking about that is supposed to open and close. The model number is ***** on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you open the refrigerator doors.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have a model number. I am not home right now. I stopped at my house between appointments and opened the damper. I only know that the model is about two years old and has french doors. I have a picture of it if that helps at all.

That does not help unfortunately. I would need a model number. Also, I wouldn't leave the damper propped open for too long. If it gets too cold and freezes everything you could run into a much bigger issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where would I find the model number?

Please reply when you get the actual model number. Unfortunately no one can help you without that number.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just go back to this page and continue?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will there be an additional charge?

There will not be an additional charge. Just bookmark the page and come back and post on this same question so you don't have to pay again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I will log back on when I get home from work today.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there someplace on the appliance that will tell me what the model number is?

No problem.

As I mentioned before, it's on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen when you open the doors.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.

no problem.