John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a french door Amana refrigerator. The freezer is

Customer Question

I have a french door Amana refrigerator. The freezer is super cold but the refrigerator wasn't cold. I read that it might be ice clogging the path to the fridge. I took the cover off and there was no ice problem, but the plastic spring loaded door between the two was stuck in the closed position. I opened the door and stuck a toothpick in it to keep it open. What is the mechinism to open and close it? Is there a switch? Is it a thermostat? Is it bad to have the "trap door" open all the time?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a model number so I can see how your damper assembly is controlled? The damper assembly is the flap that you are talking about that is supposed to open and close. The model number is ***** on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you open the refrigerator doors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a model number. I am not home right now. I stopped at my house between appointments and opened the damper. I only know that the model is about two years old and has french doors. I have a picture of it if that helps at all.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

That does not help unfortunately. I would need a model number. Also, I wouldn't leave the damper propped open for too long. If it gets too cold and freezes everything you could run into a much bigger issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I find the model number?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Please reply when you get the actual model number. Unfortunately no one can help you without that number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just go back to this page and continue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will there be an additional charge?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There will not be an additional charge. Just bookmark the page and come back and post on this same question so you don't have to pay again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will log back on when I get home from work today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there someplace on the appliance that will tell me what the model number is?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

As I mentioned before, it's on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen when you open the doors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

no problem.