The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My Sharp Carousel R-330F has a control panel which refuses

Customer Question

Customer: My Sharp Carousel R-330F has a control panel which refuses to work properly. It is not reacting to the stop, start or clock buttons. If any number is ***** it will come up with 8's or 7's in a row. I will go if I push 'vegetables' some obscure code comes up, I push again and it will automatically start for just over 2mins and stops or if I push the clock button, it will stop. Turn table turns as normal and the light is on as normal. Is this worth fixing, should I just look for a new microwave if it is a circuit board problem. It is around 7 years old.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The control panel is not reacting as it should. The stop, start and clock buttons are not working and if any number is ***** it is coming up with 7's or 8's in a row.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 11 months ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty and I will be assisting you with your problem.

The control panel push buttons have moisture behind them. They are arcing out to the wrong traces because of it. This is why when you push one button something totally different happens.

You can try warming up the panel with a hair dryer while running your fingers over the buttons to help dry them out. this usually works the first time or maybe two, but seldom more than that. Reason being is the moisture causes electrolysis in the metal components of the panel and they eventually will not form a complete electrical circuit.

As for repairing the unit I recommend replacement rather than repair. I'm sure the control board will cost over 50.00. The total cost of a new unit is less than 300.00.

the hair dryer trick should keep you going for a short time while you save up for a new unit.

Let me know if you require additional information.

Best, Smitty