Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

Z: Broiler element not heating in either oven. Removed

Customer Question

FOR TYLER Z: Broiler element not heating in either oven. Removed element, found no voltage at wiring. Checked 30" element, found 13.6 ohms resistance. Next step?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would also add that the bake elements are working in both ovens, so I am focusing on a condition that could explain both non-functional broiler elements. Also, originally submitted incorrect model: it is GCR484GG. Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would also add that there is a very noticeable electrical hum when the broiler switch is actuated. This suggests to me that the switch is working, and that the hot wire relay is the audible load. So the question: can the HWR partially work, powering the bake element, but not the broil element? Thank you!
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

Yes it can partially work as it has two Separate relays that control the bake and broil one for broil and one for bake, in fact that is about the only issue I am aware of that will cause that unit not to broil in both units.

PLEASE take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is that if you feel I have tried to help you to the best of my ability and have taken the time to help you Kindly do the same for me and take the time this time to rate my service by clicking on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find but it's there). This will let others know that I am willing to help them also. Rating me will not in any way affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Happy Holidays!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Joel -- Thanks for this - for clarification, you are not saying I will find (4) relay components, are you? It would be (2) relay components, each one with the capability of providing power to the bake elements while failing on the broil side, yes? From my research, it would appear that these relays are not available. Do you know of a compatible part I could use? Thanks again! --

to confirm I'm saying there would be two relays one for the bake and one for the broil, give me a moment to see what I can find for ya thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The wiring diagram shows two relay boxes, (one for the 12" oven, and one for the 30" oven) each one containing contacts for bake and broil elements

well if that unit has two Separate relays for each unit the that is most likely not gonna be the issue as it would be pretty rare for both of them to fail on the broiler at the same time, I was not able to locate the tech manual for that model at bosch so I was Just going by field experience on other models, also it seems that most the parts for that unit are not available at all with no substitution parts, so even if you do find the problem you may have tough time finding parts. Sorry I could not be of more help I will opt out so that maybe another tech can help you further.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I only removed the element in the 30" oven, where I found no voltage to the wiring. The other oven could have a different problem, but it does make you wonder. Can you refer my question to someone else, or do I have to start over?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
for the record, an HWR that contains two contacts, one for bake and one for broil, can work on one set of contacts and not on the other? Thanks! --