Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My name is ***** *****
, My issue.......... This may

Customer Question

Customer: Hi John My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My issue.......... This may take awhile........ The dryer runs. But like so many others theres no heat. I changed the element, the thermostat but no change. When i turn the dryer on it starts with heat blowing out but then it gets cool. i did this 3-4 times and its always the same. ( starts hot then cools off) i have a metre and the only thing left ( that i can check) is the Thermistor. i took it off and theres no continuity so im thinking or rather hoping this could be the easy fix. Thoughts
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

most dryers have 3-4 thermostats which one did you replace?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Model YIED7200TW
I changed the Thermostat #35001092 (that's all the parts list says)
I changed the Element #35001247 and the Assembly Bracket Thermostat. #35001193. This was all before I bought a meter to check all 3 for continuity. It appears I changed 3 good parts and still the same issue.

ok that thermostat is one of the two one the heater housing ,then you also have one on the blower housing .

Items #24 ,and item #15 is the second on the heater bracket and you replaced # ***** .

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/W0809148-00003.png

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry. All correct.

ok so check the other two thermostats to see if either one of them are open

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Open? I took it off and appears ok. I checked for continuity ( if that matters) and all good. The Thermistor has no continuity if that matters

what setting did you have your meter on when testing the thermistor .it has a high resistance rating in the 10,000 ohm range.

and you need to test the thermostats right after the heat shuts off ,if you wait even a few minutes it will be closed again possibly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I take a picture and text it to you

a picture of what?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The setting on the meter

ok or you can just tell me what ohm setting you have the meter on!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have it on the setting where it supposed to beep if there's continuity.

no you need to set it on at least a 20,000 ohm setting to read the ohms on the thermistor .

At room temperature it should read 10,000 ohms

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does 10.94 make sense

yes that would be 10,940 the 10,000 would be for a temperature of 77 F° so depending upon your temperature that sounds correct.

But what you need to do is put all the thermostats back in and wire them up .run the unit when the heat cycles off unplug the dryer and as quick as you can ohm out each of the thermostats to see which one is open (no continuity) one of them have to be opening to kill the power to the heating element.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Current update. I changed the Thermostat on the blower housing and the Thermistor as well. I turned the unit on and all seemed good. ( heat and air flow). I waited for the cycle to finish and the unit was off and the clothes seemed extremely hot. I switched loads and now the unit won't tumble. I by passed the thermostat wire on the blower houser put back together and the unit tumbled. I checked the thermostat on the blower for continuity and there is zero. I rechecked all the other thermostats ( heater box) and the element and they all have continuity. I think this may be beyond me and time to call in a service guy

the thermostat on the blower housing should open when it gets above 160° then when it cools back down to approx 135 it will then close again it is after all the cycle thermostat= meaning it cycles the heater on and off!

Check it now that it has cooled back down .

You should find it closed .

And the cycle thermostat on the blower housing should not stop the unit from running unless you have it wired incorrectly!!

But if you feel this is beyond your mechanical scope .

I understand ,,only you can decide that.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time