John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Bravos Maytag dryer that will not start. everything

Customer Question

Customer: I have a Bravos Maytag dryer that will not start. everything works except for when the start button is pushed nothing happens. push the start button again, the lights are flashing to indicate the dryer is in pause mode.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have given the details of my issues
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
When you program the dryer and press Start does the time display count down? it will take 1 minute for it to change of course.

And if you open the dryer door does the interior light go on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure you received my response, but here it is again: the model number is *****; Yes, after programming and starting the dryer the display counts down and when you press the start/pause button the display flashes or when you open the dryer door the display flashes and the interior light is on. if you press the button again the display resume the countdown as if the dryer was working properly.

ok so the countdown tells me the door switch start circuit is good. if you unplug the unit and remove the lower front panel (two clips on top of the panel near the corners)

After the panel has been opened and layed down on the blower housing is a thermal fuse .

the fuse is on the back side of the blower housing near the top ,the wires will be hard to see it has two light blue wires on it .remove those two wires and with a paper clip join those two wires together and make sure they will not touch bare metal ,plug the unit back in and program any cycle and press Start to see if it does then start?

Let me know what happens

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am in the process of performing your troubleshooting method

No problem!

Ok I waited over an hour for you to come back I will be on tomorrow around 9 am.EST

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was able to locate the two wires but do not have enough wiggle room to disconnect the wires without causing damage. Before I started to look for the wires, the dryer was working again. But, it has stop working before in the past and after being used for a few hours of drying clothes. after 10 to 15 minutes cool off period it would start again drying clothes. When I reached out to you yesterday, the drying has not been in use for a day, but the drum would not rotate even though the display indicated normal operation. The problem is not fixed due to not taken care of the symptom of why the dryer stops working for a period of time. what is the best way of disconnecting the two blue wires to test out your theory and what is the purpose?

the best way to remove any of the wires with in the dryer from their terminals is to grab a hold of them and pull them off .

They have no locking clip they are all held on by friction . if you need to take a pair of needle nosed pliers and pull the terminal off the thermal fuse.

And now that you have told me of this erratic operation ,the issue would not be the thermal fuse .

If the thermal fuse is faulty the dryer will not start back up again until the thermal fuse is replaced.

Make sure that the motor area is clear of lint ,lint can cause the motor to over heat and once it goes off on overload it will need to cool back down before it will restart.

Or you may have a loose connection with in the dryer start circuit also.

Do you still need assistance on your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Merry Christmas! the motor area was full of lint and I did clean the area. After cleaning the motor area I have not experience the dryer stop working in the middle of drying clothes. I now know the motor area need to be clean of lint more often than I was doing which was "0". I did notice when the dial was set to normal operation which automatically set the timer for 48 minutes that the timer jumped up to 89 minutes during operation. once the timer is set for normal operation you cannot adjust the timer from 48 minutes. The dryer continued to run even thought the time adjusted when it should not have. so the two issues that I have experienced is that the dryer would stop in the middle of drying after running for long period of time and the timer adjusting when it shouldn't. So, maybe keeping the motor area clean may be the fix for the interruption of drying clothes and I am not sure about the timer adjusting on its own.