John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

, I have a Kitchen Aid under the counter ice maker It

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a Kitchen Aid under the counter ice maker It just stopped making ice I replace the recirculating pump and then it produced a very small amount of ice now it's back to producing nothing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Water keeps running down the chill plate into the reservoir, but no ice is being formed.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
The Model /serial tag should be on the inner bin on the right side.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
KUIC18PNTS2

Thank you!

Can you tell if the compressor (black domed component under the unit on the left rear ) is running or not?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hmmm I'm actually not at home right now (sorry), so I thought I would provide what information I already have. I do know what unit this is...it's a pretty large piece relative to the entire machine right? I actually can't remember if it was running or not.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I guess I can check when I get home later on today? Is there anything else I should look for?

The compressor is what make the evaporator plate cold to make ice it has to be running to make ice .yes it is a large item under the unit .

if the circulation pump is running then so should the compressor be.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh ok -- Yes, the circulation pump is moving the water. I'll check to see if the compressor is running or not. So if it isn't running, that is what is preventing the water from freezing on the evaporator plate?And if it is running...plan B?

if the water is circulating and the compressor is not running I would suspect the electronic control board in the console area!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK great! Thanks so much for your help. If I have further questions I can just log back in right?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ughh and the compressor is very expensive but these machines are always running I suppose.

And if it were a compressor you will have to have a service company replace it that has EPA certified refrigerant tech to work on it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thanks!

no problem just reply back to me when you can and then we can continue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I pulled the ice maker out from under the counter and turned it on. The compressor was hot and I also observed that the fan that is in front of the compressor never circulated in the five minutes I was watching.

Ok So we have to assume that the fan is either bad or it is not getting voltage.

If you drop the console down you would be able to test the voltage to that condenser fan motor.

On the P1 connector test the orange wire on P1-2 to chassis ground looking for 120 volts A/C if you have voltage it is the fan motor if you do not have voltage then it is the electronic control board.

If you let me know your findings I can provide you with part info .

Do you still need assistance on your question?