Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a sub zero freezer with frost on rear panel and fan

Customer Question

I have a sub zero freezer with frost on rear panel and fan is running loudly
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a model number located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator/freezer section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
736tc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned the unit off this morning when I left for work. Just got home 15 hours later and turned it back on. It is running quietly now...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well not so quietly.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So if the frost comes back it means that you have a freon leak or a defrost issue. Commonly on this model the evaporator behind the back panel will build up frost on one portion but not the other because it's low on freon and if that's the case your evaporator has a leak and would need to be replaced.

Now if you removed the back panel and the evaporator was packed with frost rom top to bottom, it means that the unit isn't defrosting on it's own.

As a last scenario, if the frost doesn't come back, it means that the door was just left cracked open which is why it built up frost/ice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The frost is still there. It didn't melt
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so you will need to leave it shut off with the doors open. It sounds like you must not have left the doors open if the frost is still there. If you don't leave the doors open the unit just acts like a cooler.