Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Replacing a Whirlpool double oven control panel. Ribbon

Customer Question

Replacing a Whirlpool double oven control panel. Ribbon cable did not come with a connector attached, and will not stay in place. Should there have been a connector?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

you should be able to use the connector off the old one panel if not you can buy one from an electronics outlet for less than a few dollars. Most of them just slip over and lock down with tabs and can be removed.

PLEASE take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is that

you take this time to rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page

or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find

but it's there). Rating me will not in any affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question.

This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks.

Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Joel. I tried using the old one, but it doesn't seem to hold the ribbon in place. I even tried putting a small piece of electrical tape on each side (behind the connector edge, of course) to increase thickness. Does not stay in place. I've disassembled this thing 6-7 times now. How is that connector supposed to hold the ribbon when it just slides thru it?

they are made to kinda crimp on, here is a video that shows how using a vice but you can use pliers or whatever can put pressure on:

VIDEO

just dont get to carried away.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The connector is hard plastic. Gentle pressure with a pliers did nothing. It seems seated but after reassembling I have no display and if I press start I get 1 short beep, 1 long beep, 3 short beeps.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any other ideas (see previous message)? Your tips did not solve the problem so far.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 months ago.

I see the last person has opted out of your question!

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

If you have installed a new control panel .and you still do not have a display then the issue is not the control panel.

The display is on the control board NOT the control panel.

Have you tested for voltage to the control board ? test in on the P24-3 black wire to the P24-1 white wire looking for 120 volts.

And if you install the ribbon connector into the socket on the control board put a dab of silicone on each side of the ribbon to hold it in place

Let me know what you find from Black to White

Do you still need assistance on your question?