Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kelvinator upright Commercial Freezer. The unit has

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Kelvinator upright Commercial Freezer. The unit has stopped cooling. The fan runs and the motor also seems to be working properly. Essentially, the unit "sounds" normal. Any idea what could cause the unit to stop freezing? Thermostat? Freon? Condenser?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

The compressor fan (known as the condenser fan) should turn on the moment that the compressor turns on. Whenever the compressor is on the condenser fan motor should be running. if it's not running that definitely will cause the compressor to over work. Put a fan back by the compressor to cool the compressor and see if the unit cools down like normal. If not then the condenser fan motor next to the compressor failed and caused the compressor to overwork for too long causing the compressor to become inefficient so now you'd need a new fan and a new compressor to fix the issue. That's a $700 repair or so, so it would likely not be worth repairing.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Tyler! I might have a few questions later but I think you have answered my question. Appreciate it!

alright good luck to you