Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My name is ***** *****, I need help with a Maytag che9800bce

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, I need help with a Maytag che9800bce glass top stove. I replaced a burner that went bad. I am now having a problem with the 2 small burners not turning down to low. They come on and stay full hot no matter where you turn the dial. It is very possible that I have wires out of position but looking at the wiring diagram it all looks good to me. These are brand new burners and control knobs.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.
.

During the month of December, all ratings of 3 stars or more, 1/2 of the payment will be donated to help homeless veterans, also all tips given will be donated to 100% to Autism Support Groups.

Why did you replace the controls for a bad burner?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Because when I turned the power back on after replacing the burner it would not go to low. Thinking I had screwed up I changed wires causing both burner controls for the small burners to go up in smoke. So then I knew I really screwed up. This is why I say the wiring may not be correct but I do have a manual and the wiring looks correct. But I am no expert.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Can you post a picture of the wiring diagram please? Also the new controls that you received, are they the original number or a replacement number?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If you call me could would it be possible to verify the wiring. I called a local repair guy and he ordered controls for me so I am not sure about where he ordered from. I gave up on him after they did not fix the problem.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Calling I don't think it would be much help, and it would cost you another $38 on top of that, I would need to know what part numbers you installed and the wiring diagram that you went by to compare to what I may have..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did find the bags. It says Whirlpool Corp Factory Certified Parts 7403P238-60. The Wiring is from a Maytag service manual I ordered several years ago Issued 5/93. Page 6-13.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see a number in the manual 16000475
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

SO they are 5 wire switches?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Sorry I don't have that wiring diagram, however you do have the correct switches for your unit, I am going to opt out since I don't have the tech sheet for it.. Sorry..

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The wiring diagram is at the link below. Do you have them wired per that diagram? Can you post a picture of how you have them wired?

CLICK HERE