Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a Kenmore classic c978-66032-1 the bottom freezer is

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore classic c978-66032-1 the bottom freezer is working but the top fridge is not cold.
Couple days ago I heard some bad noises from the unit, like a bad bearing/ vibrations. Since then no cooling at the top.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 11 months ago.

Hi, the fan in the freezer is known for failing on these units. The fan pushes air into the refrigerator to cool it. These units are also know for having a bad defrost component. If you see frost on the back panel inside the freezer, you will need a ohm meter to test the bi-metal and the defrost heater inside the freezer behind the back panel.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No frost on the back panel of the freezer, how do I check that fan?

The back panel inside the freezer needs to be removed. If the compressor on back is running, the fan in the freezer should be as well. You need a volt meter to test the three wires for 110v @ the fan motor windings.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There's a big fan when you take the back panel off. I think it's for the condenser. It's running well n smooth

Yes, thats the condenser fan motor. The fan that is "INSIDE" the freezer is the "Evaporator Fan Motor" The evap fan needs to be tested for voltage.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sent you a pic thru txt, not sure if you got it. Doesn't seem like it has a back panel only one in the freezer ceiling. Not sure how to remove

No pic. The back panel inside the freezer comes out on 99% of refrigerators. On very few is the actual evaporator in the ceiling.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sent pic again, let me know

Yes, the 1%er. With the door/light switch pushed in do you hear the fan inside running?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No just, just hear condenser fan motor continually running

Is the compressor hot or cold?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Slightly warmer then room twmp
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Temp

Yes, it should be warmer then that. Roughly 150 degress or so under normal working conditions. You have a leak most likely. You need to access the evaporator inside the freezer and check the frost pattern. The frost pattern needs to be 1/16 from top to bottom. It's not going to be.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, how do I access that

Remove the freezer door and start taking the ceiling apart.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any written procedure for that?
Seems like ceiling is on a tray but all what seem to be screw holes have foam in them. So you figure refrigerant leak? That would imply two different refrigerant circuits?
I though freezer cold fed fridge cold?

No written procedure. It al clips together and has screws. It's a bit of a maze. It's hard to explain while it's happening if that makes sense. The people that build these don't work on them.

The freon is pumped to the evaporator inside the freezer boss. It boils and creates frost. The heat from the inside and food is then absorbed into the evaporator and pushed out at the condenser coils. My educated guess without laying on your floor and taking it apart is a sealed system issue yes. I would need to hook my refrigeration gauges to the suction line or have a look at the evaporators frost pattern since I know it should have 1/16 frost from top to bottom. I work on the honor system here @ Just Answer. Please Remember to rate my answer positively before logging off. Thanks!