Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

Ge monogram Zis48nyb vegetables and fruit bins freezing even

Customer Question

Ge monogram Zis48nyb vegetables and fruit bins freezing even with the fridge setting at off. Upper levels will get to 40°+f while drawers are 20f°
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

sounds like the damper control is bad and the damper is not opening and closing properly, it controls the airflow from the freezer compartment to the refrigerator, if its staying open then it would basically make your refrigerator much too cold:

Refrigerator Damper Control Assembly

Part #: WR9X513

listed as 7914 on the diagram:

diagram

PLEASE take into consideration we are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is that
you take this time to rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page
or wherever the 5 star rating system is located on your page (sometimes it's hard to find
but it's there). Rating me will not in any affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.
TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That looks like it is located higher up. Is there a damper located lower at the veggie bins?

some models have a return air damper at the bottom left side of the fresh food section that can be adjusted I can't tell from the diagram I am looking at if yours has one or not, it probably does.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It only looked like vents when I checked yesterday. Did not see any adjusters.

ya you need to check that the damper is opening and closing, because as you say it freezes even when its not running so whats prob happening is when the refrigerator is cycled off from the thermostat there is no fan running to circulate the air so if the damper is not closing all of the cold air settles to the bottom which causes the produce in the drawers to freeze while the top shelves stay above freezing.

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this

issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I

can put this question on my completed list. Thank You so much for your understanding and

support!.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cannot see the damper opening closing on the lower half. But turned off the freezer section and left the refrigerator side on. Was still at 20°f in th bins

k its impossible to turn off the freezer and still have the refrigerator work because all the air in the refrigerator comes from the freezer, evaporator in freezer gets cold, evaporator fan circulates the air from the freezer to the refrigerator all that freezer side control does is open and close the damper depending on the setting and seeing as it sounds like the damper did not close that is your problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How would I get to the lower damper to check it and is there a part number for it? Thank you for all your help so far Joel. I will complete the review as soon as I get this resolved

the schematic is not showing a lower damper at all for that unit, you may have pull it apart and have a look the part number will be on the damper.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will I have to remove he back panel to access?

when you get around the fridge send me a picture of the inside of the fridge and send me a picture of the damper you are referring too also because the only damper I see is the one in diagram listed as 7914

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I assumed that there's a damper there. It's on the freezer side of the fridge

nope there is no damper there at all. If the damper at the top is working properly then I would suggest replacing the thermostat, I have a feeling its allowing the unit to get to cold, the best way to actually find out for sure would be to put a temperature recorder in the refrigerator for 24 hours to record the unit temps.

that model obviously is older and does not have all the fancy thermister sensors that control temp, it just has the old style thermostat, so the only possible thing that could be wrong is A: the top damper is not opening and closing at it should:

B: the thermostat is not allowing the unit to cycle at the proper temps, try turning it up to a higher setting for a few days and see if that helps with the freezing in the crispers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
had to over spin the dial to get the crisper to 32-40°. The top levels will be at 40+. Is there a fan that blows helps circulate the air for the refrigerator side?

there is one fan in the unit that circulates air its located in the freezer, and it blows air out of the top damper from the freezer. sounds to me like you should replace that thermostat because whoever replaced it the last time did not use the correct one.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
WR50X108 is that the part number?

it's part number WR9X588, but it is no longer being made, I found some that had sold on ebay but no listings for any right now, you may want to keep an eye on ebay and amazon for one to pop up for sale.

If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this

can put this question on my completed list. I took the time to help you please take the time to help me. Thank You so much for your understanding and support!.